Can you cut 1 Tonne of carbon pollution out of your life?Take the challenge
Lamingtons are an absolute Australian classic!
1 Million Women is here to share some tips on how to enjoy a planet strong version of this well loved Aussie favourite.
Ingredients (for 16)
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup soy milk
- ⅓ cup of soda water
- ¼ cup vegetable oil (non hydrogenated)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs of arrowroot (or cornstarch)
- 1 tbs of vanilla essence
- 2 cups icing sugar
- ⅓ cup raw cacao powder (or coco powder)
- ¼ cup soy milk
- ¼ cup boiling water
- lots of desiccated coconut (about 4 cups)
- ¼ cup of jam for the filling (strawberry, raspberry, whateverberry)
Trick one: make the night before and freeze!
- Whisk the apple cider vinegar and the soy milk together and set aside
- Mix together most of the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, arrowroot)
- Add the oil, sugar and vanilla essence to the soy milk mixture
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry
- Once there are no lumps, add the soda water and mix
- Put the mixture into one large rectangular cake tin (or two square ones)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean
- Cool on a rack
- Put in the freezer
Trick two: two forks!
- Sift the icing sugar and cocoa powder into a medium bowl.
- Add the soymilk and water and stir until smooth.
- Cut the cake into equal size rectangles or squares
- Warm jam in the microwave for about 45 seconds
- Place jam on one rectangle, and sandwich the other on top
- Using two forks, dip the cake into the warm icing and let some of the icing run off
- Using your fingers, roll the cake into the coconut until coated
- Once all lamingtons are made, refrigerate for at least an hour until icing has set
Thanks to The Bogan Vegan for this delicious recipe!
Make this next: Vegan Chai Pudding
Read this next: What's happening to put a stop to plastic microbeads?