Can you cut 1 Tonne of carbon pollution out of your life?Take the challenge
Homemade all-purpose citrus peel cleaner is a perfect way to use all your lemon, lime, and orange peels. The only other ingredient you need is white vinegar (the cheaper and nastier the better!).
A collection of citrus peels. You don't need them all at once, you can start making the cleaner and add the peels as you eat up all your fruit!
A litre or so of white vinegar
A jar to let it all sit in
An empty spray bottle
1. Make sure that your jar is clean and doesn't have any cracks or chips as this is where bacteria can hang out and promote mould growth.
2. As you eat up your citrus fruit store the peels in the glass jar, ensuring that there isn't too much flesh of the fruit left on the peels.
3. Top it up with white vinegar and leave in a cool sport for at least two weeks (you can continue to add peels during this time).
4. Strain the liquid into your spray bottle.
5. Chop up the leftover peels and pop them into your compost.
6. Use the spray as you would any other household cleaner!
1 Million Women is empowering women and girls around the world to lower their impact on the planet. If you love what we do, please support our work by donating a couple of dollars. For the price of a cuppa, you can help us inspire millions more! (click to donate)
How it works:
Citrus peels contain d-limonene, a naturally occurring solvent which breaks down and removes oil from dirty surfaces. Given time, the d-limonene fuses with the white vinegar (another favourite cleaner of ours) to create a powerful cleaning agent - that's why you need to give it at least two weeks to infuse. We swear by this recipe!
Banner image: Shutterstock
Try this next: Use sugar as an alternative to wax for hair removal!
1 Million Women is more than our name, it's our goal! We're building a movement of strong, inspirational women acting on climate change by leading low-carbon lives. To make sure that our message has an impact, we need more women adding their voice. We need to be louder. Joining us online means your voice and actions can be counted. We need you. We're building a movement of women fighting climate change through the way we live.