Sustainable winter comfort food with a kick!
Friday was my partners birthday. His two main loves in life (besides me, of course) are Mexican food and chocolate. I decided to surprise him and have adapted a classic family recipe ( chocolate Mexican cake ) and made it vegan! I hope you will enjoy it as much as he did.
Trim dairy by equal to two glasses of milk a week if you consume a lot
Estimated CO2 Saving: 13kg per month (150kg per year)
Cattle pollute with their burping (seriously), so reducing your dairy products consumption can help cut CO2. But make sure you always watch your nutritional requirements too.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar (or sugar alternative)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cacao powder, sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of cold water
- 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- pinch of sea salt.
1. Preheat oven to 200°C
2. Mix all dry ingredients together, then gradually add in wet ingredients.
3. Pour batter into lined cake tin and bake for 40-45 minutes.
4. As with all cakes, leave to cool completely before icing.
1. whisk all icing ingredients together until smooth.
2. Pour over completely cooled cake.