A delicious seasonal soup to help fight the cold! Pick up the ingredients at your local farmers market today.
Spiced Pumpkin and Carrot Soup
- 600 grams pumpkin
- 4 large carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 large handful green beans, washed with ends removed
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper to season
- 1. Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a large roasting pan with non-stick baking paper. Place pumpkin and carrot in lined pan. Drizzle over 2 tablespoons of oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until golden and tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat a pot of water for the green beans. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and then add the freshly washed and trimmed beans to the water. Once tender, drain the pot of water and put the lid back on so the beans keep warm. Set aside.
- 3. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion. Season with salt. Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring often, for 20 minutes or until soft. Add coriander, cumin, and chilli powder, if desired. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until aromatic.
- 4. Add the pumpkin, carrot, stock and water. Increase heat to medium. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool slightly.
- 5. Transfer half the pumpkin mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.
- 6. Transfer the soup back to the saucepan and place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until heated through.
- 7. Ladle among serving bowls. Top with green beans, and serve with bread or flatbreads if you desire.