THESE SLOW COOKER BAKED BEANS ARE A SIMPLE TWIST ON THE TINNED CLASSIC WE KNOW AND LOVE. THEY'RE RICH, CREAMY AND A CINCH TO MAKE WHEN YOU USE A SLOW COOKER.
I like to make these baked beans in bigger batches and freeze portions for later on. Whether it's breakfast, lunch or dinner, anytime of day is slow cooker baked beans time in my books.
This recipe is from my meal prep and cooking course Prep Before You Pop. A postpartum meal planning course to help you fill your fridge and freezer with nourishing and delicious food. guide for pregnancy, postpartum and beyond.
Makes: 8 serves
- 500g borlotti beans
- Water (for soaking beans)
- 1 onion
- 2 tins tomato
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 750mL water
- Soak beans for 8 hours or overnight. Rinse really well.
This is optional, but it helps with digestion and evenly cooking your beans.
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and mix to combine.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or overnight.
- Who knew it could be so simple!
- Remove from slow cooker and adjust the flavour as you need to. The sauce will be delicious, but maybe you want it a bit smokier (paprika), sweeter (maple syrup), saltier (salt or tamari).
- Serve with sourdough, eggs, greens or however you'd like.
For the freezer
I freeze in single serve (500mL) or double serve portions. This makes it easier to defrost the amount we need for a meal without wastage. Don't forget, you could make a double batch and freeze! Grab my Cool.Pack.Store guide here.
Written by Lunch Lady Lou
Lunch Lady Lou is a self taught cook and recipe developer.
She's on a mission to remind busy women that they can cook and take care of themselves. Lou is passionate about creating simple cooking rituals that support our health, create the connection we desire and savour the memories and recipes from our past. Check out her work here.