Feature Image credit: "woman scientist in lab with plant" Source: Shutterstock
We all know how hard it can seem to maintain your sustainable living ways when you’re out of the house, and when you have the pressure of studying and trying to stay focused in lectures. But being conscious of what you’re buying and how you’re devoting your day at university is actually a lot easier than it seems.
- Consider your coffee in the morning that much needed buzz to psych yourself up for your lecture. Instead of getting a take away cup, bring your own keep cup! Or even consider getting there a bit early and enjoying a sit down cup of coffee with friends.
- To stay focused the entire day you’re definitely going to need an endless amount of snacks and food to keep your brain switched on. Bring snacks in reusable containers, such as nuts. For your lunch, pack your own, it will save you money and we all know how important those words can be to a full time student. If you do buy food, try finding a place where you can sit and eat, and avoid packaged items. Make this your local university hang out with all your friends.
- Bring your laptop. Instead of writing notes on a notepad, try writing all your notes on your laptop, this will save paper and also limit the amount of things you need to carry around.
- The same goes for all your readings. It’s sad to think about an entire lecture room of students printing out 10 page long readings for each lecture. Instead try reading them on the computer and making a document of all the important points. If you do print them out make sure you print it out on recycled paper and double sided.
- For your textbooks try getting second hand books instead of buying brand new ones. They are cheaper and just as good. Or borrow them from the university Library.
- Don’t drive! Catching public transport may take longer but it’s a great place to catch up on any last minute uni work. Use this time to get your readings done, or even use this time to do something leisurely like read a novel or listen to your music. Its even a good time to catch up on some sleep!
- Try being environmentally active on campus. Join an environment club and promote being a sustainable student to others. This is a great way to get involved in university life as well and meet new people.