Traditional energy providers like AGL, Energy Australia and Origin invest our money in fossil fuels. Fossil Fuels cause air pollution, oil spills, acid rain and contribute massively towards global warming and climate change.
So why do these companies think that we will forget all that and fall head-over-heels for their rebranding as "clean" and "eco" energy providers?
According to Dr John Hewson, "AGL is perhaps the worst offender, spreading pro-renewable furphies through Facebook and Twitter while assuring investors sotto voce they mean nothing of the sort."
Here's what's actually happening with power in Australia:
- In April, AGL announced that they would be phasing out their dirty coal operations by 2050...but their coal-fired generators are scheduled to be retired by then anyway
- Origin energy derives only about 1% of their energy from renewables, despite their branding as a "sustainable" energy provider
- Over 1.5 million people have already reduced their reliance on big energy companies by installing rooftop solar, while entire communities are banding together to form independent, community-owned energy projects
- Only yesterday, Energy Australia got fined AGAIN for allowing 8.6 million litres of coal waste to leak from their own power plant into the Morwell River (ABC News, 28/07/2015).
- Backed by Meridian Energy, Australasia's largest 100% renewable generator, Powershop is a modern power company that's designed from the ground up with the sole purpose of empowering the consumer and saving them money. This is the company that we are putting our support behind. Will you do the same?
The fact that Powershop DOES NOT invest in this destructive fossil fuel industry is the NUMBER 1 reason why you should switch your energy to them! (Only available in NSW and Victoria at the moment, other states watch this space.)
They ONLY invest in renewable energy.
They also offset 100% of the carbon associated with your electricity use at no extra cost to you (and they will pay the exit fees you might have from your current provider, up to $75!)
And when you switch, Powershop will make a financial contribution towards our 1 Million Women campaigns to cut carbon pollution.
Banner image: Shutterstock
READ THIS NEXT: 5 Reasons to say "NO!" to dirty energy now
We're building a movement of women fighting climate change through the way we live.
Join us and be counted.